Acts & Rules
Acts administered by Revenue Department1.
Jammu and Kashmir Tenancy Act 1923
2. Jammu and Kashmir Land Acquisition Act, 1934
- An Act to consolidate, amend and declare the law relating to the tenancy of land in the State.
- First major reform in the field of agrarian history in the State.
- Act defined the classes, rights, liabilities and interests of tenants.
- Raised the economic, social and the personal status of the tillers.
- Act has become redundant after enactment of Jammu and Kashmir Agrarian Reforms Act, 1976.
3. Jammu and Kashmir Alienation of Land Act, 1938
- An Act to provide acquisition of land needed for public purposes and for determining the amount of compensation to be made on account of such acquisition.
4. Jammu and Kashmir Land Revenue Act, 1939
- An Act to consolidate and enact the law relating of the transfer of agricultural land in the State.
5. Jammu and Kashmir Evacuee (Administration of Property Act), 1949
- An Act to consolidate, amend and declare the law in force with respect to making and maintenance of Record-of Rights in land, the assessment and collection of land revenue and other matters relating to land and the liabilities incident thereto.
- Basic Revenue Law to deal with Revenue Administration.
- Deals with classes and powers of various Revenue Officers, the procedure for appeals, review and revision of the orders passed by Revenue Officers, procedure fro issue and service of summons, proclamations and their appearances, preparation of Record-of Rights, Annual Records and revision thereof and trial of suits.
6. Jammu and Kashmir Big Landed Estates Abolition Act, 1950
- An Act to provide for the administration of Evacuee’s property in the State.
- Vests the powers to administer said property with Custodian General.
7. Jammu and Kashmir Utilization of Lands Act, 1953
- An Act to provide for the abolition of big landed estates and their transfer to actual tillers.
- Optimum unit of land retainable by a landlord was fixed at 182 Kanals.
8. Jammu and Kashmir Kahcharai Act, 1954
- An Act to provide for utilization of lands in the State.
- Issue directions for bringing abandoned land again under cultivation.
9. Jammu and Kashmir Chowkidari Act, 1956
- An Act to make better provision for and to consolidate and amend the Law relating to Kahcharai and other matters connected therewith.
10. Jammu and Kashmir Common Lands (Regulation) Act, 1956
- An Act to amend, consolidate and declare the Law relating to the appointment and maintenance of Chowkidars in towns and villages.
11. Jammu and Kashmir Land Grants Act, 1960
- An Act to regulate the rights in common lands.
- Provide relief to the user of the lands, used fro common purposes like roads, streets, lanes, pathways, water channels, drains, wells, tanks or any other source of water supply to the villagers in general.
- Provision for prohibition of encroachments over such common lands and public places and eviction thereof and in case of encroachments, to restore the rights of the users.
- Provision for assigning land for extension of “Village Abadi”, if existing land is in adequate for habitation of the villagers at any point of time.
12. Jammu and Kashmir Grant of Permanent Resident Certificate (Procedure)
- An Act to provide for grant of lands on lease by the Government.
- Applies to State and Nazool land only including buildings.
13. Jammu and Kashmir Lambardari Act, 1972
- An Act to provide for regulation and Grant of Permanent Resident Certificate.
14. Jammu and Kashmir Agrarian Reforms Act, 1976
- An Act to amend and consolidate the Law relating to payment of remuneration of Lambardars for recovery of public demands.
15. Jammu and Kashmir State Lands (Vesting of Ownership rights to the
Occupants) Act, 2001
- An Act to provide for transfer of land to tillers thereof subject to certain conditions and for better utilization of land in the State.
- Transfer of land in ownership rights to tillers.
- Optimum retainable land/Ceiling on land reduced to 121/2 Standard Acres (100 Standard Kanals) per family and absentee landlordism abolished altogether.
- Provision for resumption and disposal of surplus land.
- Prohibition on creation of fresh tenancies.
- Popularly known as Roshni Act.
- An Act to provide for vesting of ownership rights to occupants of State Land for purposes of generating funds to finance Power Projects in the State.
- Kharief, 2004 as cut-off date.
- Agricultural land was given free of cost.
|Website Designed, Developed and Hosted by National Informatics Centre, Jammu & Kashmir
Content Provided and Maintained by Office of the Financial Commissioner, Revenue J&K , Government of Jammu & Kashmir